Friday, June 6, 2008

Right Wingnut Agrees With Left Wingnut

I read Tom McLaughlin's opinion piece with great interest every week. More often than not I agree with him, but I found this week's article especially interesting. He received an email in which an admittedly 'conservative' reader agreed with his previous article concerning the pending Ag Development tax cut.

I'm glad both sides of the aisle are able to see this thing as a huge mistake, not only for the reasons McLaughlin pointed out (they have no idea how much it will cost), but for the reason his emailer brought up. Anyone that thinks this isn't a ploy by our Board to cut their own taxes needs to pull their head out of the sand. Tom should poll the Board members asking them how much they stand to save on their personal tax bill if this measure passes. Those numbers would probably astound Halifaxians to the point of revolt. I will go out on a limb and say that if all the supervisors who's tax bill would be lowered by such a change were forced to forgo their vote we would only have a couple of supervisors voting. I don't know about the rest of you, but that sounds immoral and illegal to me.

The problem is that no one will ever ask the questions that need to be asked. Neither of our newspapers will step up, and if we're waiting for our supervisors to forfeit their votes on the grounds of conflicts of interest we'd all be waiting until the end of time.

We've put the foxes in charge of the hen house, my friends!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you would consider a "rightwingnut" but I see through this one as well.

Edmunds and West especially stand to gain, and guess who is on the committee to study the proposal, and take another guess who is chair of the finance committee of the BOS?

OK. Through guessing, yet?

Here is the answer.

Edmunds, and West respectively.

Halifax.News said...

Ding ding ding! I'm glad to see that others are able to see the 'fox guarding the hen house' situation that we have going on.

Ahhh, the smell of government corruption... nothing like it.

Halifax.News said...

Also, I wanted to mention that I meant no disrespect when I used the term wingnut. Identifying heavily with one side or the other isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Halifax Conservative said...

HN said; "The problem is that no one will ever ask the questions that need to be asked. Neither of our newspapers will step up, and if we're waiting for our supervisors to forfeit their votes on the grounds of conflicts of interest we'd all be waiting until the end of time."

You are so right!

If the papers do not reveal those conflicts to the general public, then they will keep scratching their own backs.