Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Trouble in Noblin's Paradise?

I read in today's Gazette-Virginian that David Irby, an eleven year veteran of the Halifax County Sheriff's Office, is now a Sergeant with the Town of Halifax Police Department. One can only speculate about this change, but it could point to trouble in the Sheriff's Office since new Sheriff, Stanley Noblin, took over earlier this year.

On the other hand, if Irby's intentions were to leave the political brouhaha that is the Sheriff's Office, he might be in for a rude awakening in his new position. The Town of Halifax Police Department isn't known for being non-political. For verification just ask Devin Snead or Glenn Stanley.

Regardless of his reason for moving, I wish Sergeant Irby all the best in his new position. All indications are that he is a fine officer and we're lucky to have him at our service.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question.

He certainly rode into town a white horse, didn't he?

I have another one.

Is he the Sheriff or is State Police Investigator Mark Campbell?

Halifax.News said...

Did you attend the program that Investigator Campbell did? I'd be interested to hear about it. From what you've said, I'm sorry I missed it! Does he really act like he's the sheriff, or did Stanley just defer to him a lot?

Inquiring minds want to know!

PS. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Yes and Both.

Anonymous said...

Mark Campbell's head could fill a 10 gallon hat.
As for trouble in Noblin's paradise, you can't expect much from a new guy with only 4 months experience as sheriff. Give him a year to get on the ball before you blast him too bad.
Bottom line is people come and go in any job. I don't know why Irby left except that he told me it was time for a change. I do know they replaced him with a guy with no experience. That's not exactly a fair trade.
You also can't compare Snead and Stanley to David Martin. David was a former chairman of the board of supervisors, and he has a degree in criminal justice and years of experience as a cop and a politician. Sounds to me like Halifax finally has a decent chief.

Anonymous said...

1. I wonder if Irby would ever share the real reason he left Noblin's paradise?

2. I wonder if that replacement was someone who worked for the election of the current Sheriff? Odds are 4 to 1 yes.

I predict 4 and done for Noblin.

Halifax.News said...

#1.) Good question! I doubt we'll ever know, though.

#2.) I expect Moser will fill that position. My only question about that is: Will they issue a press release to announce it?

Anonymous said...

Maybe Irby left because he wanted to be promoted? Maybe he left because he is getting paid more? Maybe the guy that replaced him will go to school if needed, and be a great officer. Maybe there is no trouble in Noblin's paradise, maybe he is doing a great job. Seems to me the deputies I have spoke with are much happier now. I doubt Moser will ever be a deputy under Noblin.

Anonymous said...

Anyone heard about a deputy getting in a fist fight at a Halloween recently?